Wittern-san's article

Christian Wittern wittern at kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Aug 28 08:45:09 JST 2002

Dear Fujiwara-san,

Thanks for your interest in this article.

yfujiwar at crl.go.jp (Yoshi Fujiwara) writes:

> Hi there:
>
> I'm no expert in this field, but have interest in the chise project.
> I have read with great interest an article by Wittern-san,
> "Kanji to Jyouhou" No.3, "What is digitalization?" (in Japanese,
> but downloadable from chise homepage).
>
> After talking with Morioka-san some months ago and learning from him
> and books, I am now familiar with the viewpoint in the article that
> the system of chinese characters is like a network of English words.
> I had once tried to examine the network structure in WordNet (George
> Miller's). My interest is about the similarity and difference of
> structures in both systems of concepts.
>
> Now my question is about the line:
> "According to studies by a professor in Taiwan on structural
> principles of chinese characters, more than 50 thousand characters can
> be built by about 2000 ideographic sub-units."

I am citing Prof. C.C. Hsieh's work.  Many of his articles (most in
Chinese, some in English) are downloadable at
http://www.sinica.edu.tw/~cdp .

BTW, Prof. Hsieh will be in Japan next month to attend the PNC
conference, which is held 9/20-22 in Osaka.  If you are interested, I
would be glad to introduce you to him.

All the best,

Christian Wittern

--