Wittern-san's article

Yoshi Fujiwara yfujiwar at crl.go.jp
Tue Aug 27 12:05:09 JST 2002

Hi there:

I'm no expert in this field, but have interest in the chise project.
I have read with great interest an article by Wittern-san,
"Kanji to Jyouhou" No.3, "What is digitalization?" (in Japanese,
but downloadable from chise homepage).

After talking with Morioka-san some months ago and learning from him
and books, I am now familiar with the viewpoint in the article that
the system of chinese characters is like a network of English words.
I had once tried to examine the network structure in WordNet (George
Miller's). My interest is about the similarity and difference of
structures in both systems of concepts.

Now my question is about the line:
"According to studies by a professor in Taiwan on structural
principles of chinese characters, more than 50 thousand characters can
be built by about 2000 ideographic sub-units."

Can I have more information about it? How can I know those structural
principles and rules, extracted sub-units, and his analysis?

Appreciate any reply.
Yoshi Fujiwara