APEL 10.6 on Carbon Emacs 22.0.50.1

Bob Krzaczek krz at cis.rit.edu
Fri Sep 16 07:12:27 JST 2005

Hello,

Attempting to set up APEL 10.6 under Carbon Emacs 22.0.50.1 yields an
error during pces-20.el.  In the evaluation of

(broken-facility insert-file-contents-literally-treats-file-name-handler
  ...)

we get a lisp wrong-type-argument error.  I'll copy the first few lines
of the backtrace at the end of this message.

My workaround for right now is to substitute the expression with

(broken-facility insert-file-contents-literally-treats-file-name-handler t)

since the very presence of the error tells me that the internal lambda
is getting evaluated, even if it does trigger this error, I know that
I can get away with quick hack for now.

But, I thought you'd like to know about it, so that you might update
APEL or report a bug against Emacs.  Specifically, "Carbon Emacs" is
Emacs compiled for the Mac OS X system, using native window and input
methods; more specifically, *not* the X Window System.  Also, I've
checked out the latest version of APEL from CVS, and the error exists
there as well.

Cheers,
Bob

First few lines of emacs backtrace when the expression mentioned above
is evaluated:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument symbolp (lambda (operation &rest args) (setq called t) (let (file-name-handler-alist) (apply operation args))))
  insert-file-contents("literal-test-file" nil nil nil nil)
  insert-file-contents-literally("literal-test-file")
  (let ((file-name-handler-alist ...)) (insert-file-contents-literally "literal-test-file"))
  (save-current-buffer (set-buffer temp-buffer) (let (...) (insert-file-contents-literally "literal-test-file")) (delete-file "literal-test-file"))
  (with-current-buffer temp-buffer (let (...) (insert-file-contents-literally "literal-test-file")) (delete-file "literal-test-file"))

--
Bob Krzaczek, Chester F. Carlson Center for Imaging Science, RIT
phone +1-585-4757196, email krz at cis.rit.edu, icbm N43°05'10" W77°40'41"