Hello!

Erik Weitnauer eweitnauer at googlemail.com
Sun May 24 03:08:31 JST 2009

Hello Lee and Tomo,
thanks for the replies! I just have a couple of small questions, so I
thought I just ask you here. But let me first explain why I am
interested in this. My plan is to write a software, that helps non
native speakers to learn Chinese/Japanese Characters. I am studying
Chinese Characters by myself since a while and find it extremely handy
to have some information about the components of a characters in order
to remember it. Until recently, I did not know where to get the
information about Character decomposition from. However now I found
the CHISE project with its IDS data and it seems to be perfect for my
project.
I attached a first sketch to this mail of how the user interface of
the program might look later. In case you know the "hanzi master"
project [1], this will be similar, but with a different focus on which
information to provide to the user and the way it is presented.

So what I would like to ask you is:
1) What would be the place to get the current version of the IDS
files? Is this [2] the right place?
2) Why are there non-unicode characters at some places in the ids
files? (like CDP-8BBF in U+4E0E 与 ⿹&CDP-8BBF;一) Does that mean there
is (or was?) no character specified in unicode for this component of
the character? Where can I lookup these CDP - codes?
3) What would be the prefered way to read all the character
information? (libchise with libchise-db? Is there example code or
documentation somewhere?) Or would parsing the txt file be the
simplest solution?

Last but not least, any comments on my project would be very
appreciated. Or maybe you can point me into some useful directions. If
you are interested in the details or progress of my work, I will be
glad to send some updates via this mailing list.

Kind regards,
Erik.

[1] http://mac.softpedia.com/screenshots/Hanzim_1.png
[2] http://cvs.m17n.org/viewcvs/chise/ids/