Emacs APEL CVS - time-stamp.el conflicts with Emacs

Katsumi Yamaoka yamaoka at jpl.org
Sun Feb 8 09:52:46 JST 2004

Hi,

>     Hi,

>     I'm using the CVS version of APEL and noticed that it exports
>     time-stamp.el which conflicts with the existing Emacs
>     time-stamp.el. May I propose that

The time-stamp.el module in APEL will be installed only when
Emacs version is less than 19.16.  Please see the EMU-ELS file.

>     1) Either the file is renamed to some other name (filestamp.el)
>     2) The changes are merged to XEmacs/Emacs and the file is removed.

I don't agree with you.

>     The problem is, that if I load "time-stamp.el" I want the standard
>     version.

Indeed.  Non-standard time-stamp.el is obviously useless.

>     While I could arrange load-path so that APEL comes last,
>     it is not practical, because I have 300 other directories with
>     other lisp packages and I'd rather not find the trouble to find
>     out what is the "correct load-path order". Ideally each package
>     name should be unique.

>     Jari

APEL is designed that it should be installed independently by
the Emacs version.  So, your problem seems to be caused by the
directory which has been installed for old Emacsen.  How about
that?  I think letting recent Emacsen include old Lisp
directories to load-path is bad.

Regards,
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka at jpl.org>